No, the lock can work standalone without needing a hub. By using a direct secure Bluetooth connection between your phone and the lock, you’ll be able to setup and manage the lock through the app, including adding users, adding fingerprints, generating one-time passcodes, and deleting users.
What works without an Aqara hub
- Most normal operations such as daily locking/unlocking
- Most administration and management of the lock, such as adding and deleting users
- Apple HomeKit
- Apple Home Keys
- One-time Passcodes
- Periodic passcodes (set locally via Bluetooth)
Extra functions unlocked by binding the lock to an Aqara Hub:
- Remote notifications
- Setting periodic passcodes remotely
- Unlocking via Aqara Home app remotely
- Google Home / Google Assistant integration
- Automations with other devices
If you’d like these features, you’ll need to choose a hub to bind your smart lock with. We have 5 hubs to choose from, and to help you choose, check our guide on choosing the right Aqara Hub.